Partall Film #10 or more commonly called PVA (short for Poly Vinyl Alcohol) is a liquid release agent that helps with pulling parts out of a mold. If you haven’t used this yet, this will make your mold pulling much easier. Here are a few tips to get you going.
- PVA is soluble in water, which means when you are done, all you need to do is wash your part off.
- Before applying PVA, make sure your plug is properly waxed with a paste wax.
- Apply PVA by either spraying or wiping the green liquid on with a sponge. It will foam slightly, but dry to a clear, glossy shine. Once applied, let sit for 15-30 minutes to dry, depending on how hot it is.
- If you are using a new mold, you will want to use multiple coats, letting each dry before applying the next.
- The part should easily come off. You may also try injecting air into the mold to help, or even water.
So, the next time you need to pull a part, grab a bottle of PVA. PVA is sold in pints, quarts, gallons, 5-gallon pails and even 55-gallon drums and it will make your life so much easier!